Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Open Letter to Earl Grey

Shared, with permission, from a LaVérendrye parent on Facebook.

Dear Earl Grey families,

I'm very happy for your school community - genuinely. I'm sure last night's decision was a big relief for you.

Believe it or not, LaVérendrye never intended to destroy your community. We strongly felt Earl Grey's N-6 and daycare spaces could move and be maintained in the same neighbourhood with the use of some realistic solutions (i.e. renovations). But I don't blame you in the least for fighting the swap. You had your kids' best interests at heart.

I'm not going to continue to argue for a swap. I'm not even surprised that it wasn't selected. But I will ask your compassion. Teach your children to be good sports. You felt losing 30 junior high students was dismantling your school. We are now losing 150 of our wee ones from our community school.

Through all this I've never believed my school was a building. It is the people. And we're losing our people. And this option is being forced on us without a three month consultation process to get our feedback.

Earl Grey, I wish you peace. I hope you wish it for us as well.